Highland Elementary School (K-6)
430 Venice Way, Inglewood, CA 90302
The mission of the Inglewood Unified School District is to ensure that all our students are taught rigorous standards-based curriculum supported by highly qualified staff in an exemplary educational system characterized by high student achievement, social development, safe schools, and effective partnerships with all segments of the community.
Highland Elementary will achieve this by:
• Developing a child that is in a continual learning model that supports the growth mindset.
• Helping students overcome academic obstacles and develop to their fullest potential.
• Ensuring that students are able to show evidence that they are able to read, write, and compute at or above grade-level standards.
• Providing students comprehensive instructional programs that reinforce growth at various levels.
• Collecting evidence that learning is taking place with classroom projects and activities that demonstrate what students have learned in the Common Core State Standards.
• Providing students access and experience to college- and career-readiness skills through the visitation of Higher Education campuses like California State University, Northridge; Loyola Marymount University; El Camino College, and other neighboring colleges and universities.
Welcome to Highland Elementary School!
Highland Elementary School is a Transitional Kindergarten – 6th grade School situated in the north section of Inglewood. The surrounding neighborhood consists of apartment buildings as well as some single/multi-family dwellings in the Community. Rogers Park is within walking distance of the school, and they offer great after school programs to Highland students. The Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is approximately four miles southwest of Highland Elementary School. The 405 Freeway is approximately two miles south of the school.
Welcome to Highland Elementary School! Our school focuses on each individual child to ensure that all students are making progress to reach their potential. The foundations of instruction at Highland are based on a rigorous research-based curriculum; high-performance expectations; and open and ongoing communication and collaboration between all stakeholders, which results in a climate and school culture of excellence, expectation, and achievement.
Our sixth-grade students are on the path to understanding the need for service learning and college-going behaviors and skills. Many of our students participate in our school choir, which is directed by one of our first-grade teachers. The choir is a chorus and drama team, which provides grand productions each year that are performed schoolwide, districtwide and for special events. Our 4th-6th grade students learn leadership and college-going skills through our AVID curriculum as well as participate in field trips to colleges and universities. A group of California State University, Northridge (CSUN) students also visits Highland to inspire our students to believe, achieve and conquer the college pathways in elementary school. Our second-floor hallway is an inspiration to the many universities and their mottoes. Students participate in structured play during their lunch recess lead by coaches from the CF Fitness Program.
Highland has a two-story building located on the corner of Venice Way and Inglewood Avenue. This structure houses 28 classrooms, one teacher workroom and restroom facilities on each floor. The administrative building is adjacent to the cafeteria and houses a library, computer lab, teachers’ professional development office, wellness room and office, which was ready in June 2009. Additionally, Highland added a preschool program that accommodates one a.m. class.
Click here for:
Colors: Blue & Gold
Motto: "All scholars can and will be successful in school and in life!"
Mr. Trevino Jones